Monday, May 31, 2010

Home Theater Concert: Jeff Beck

Just finished watching 'Jeff Beck Performing this week: Live At Ronnie Scott's' on Blu-ray disc.
Now, I should point out that I have never claimed to be a huge Jeff Beck fan. I own maybe half a dozen CDs of his, but I never really kept up with his work. On top of that, I never listed him as one of my favorite guitarists (although I do consider him a great guitarist).
That being said, I had heard and read a lot of great things about this disc, so I decided to pick it up. Needless to say, I do not regret this decision in the least. First, the audio and video quality on this disc is amazing, akin to the Return to Forever Live at Montreaux BD. Of course, not to be outdone by the film and sound crew, the performance is outstanding, with a nice blend of rock, jazz, and fusion selections, and is sure to please even the most casual Jeff Beck fan. In fact, even if you're just a fan of music you'd probably get enjoyment out of this disc. Accompanying Jeff in the core band for this performance is Jason Rebello on keyboards, my second favorite Zappa drummer Vinnie Colaiuta (second to T. Bozzio IMO), and the extremely talented and very cute Tal Wilkenfeld on bass. Guest appearances include Joss Stone, Imogen Heap, and Eric Clapton.
Also, as a bonus (exclusive to the Blu-ray), you get a shorter Rockabilly set with Jeff and the Big Town Playboys as sort of an opening performance (if you watch it first, which I did not).
In any case, if you're a fan of good musical performances, I highly recommend this disc. If you're a fan of Jeff Beck, it's a no-brainer.

No comments: