Wednesday, June 29, 2011

This Is What It's Like to Actually Use Google+, Google's New Social Network

Looks like Google is (again) throwing their hat into the social networking ring.
First there was the twitter-like Google Buzz, and now there's the facebook-like Google+.
In my opinion, much like Buzz to Twitter, I don't think this is going to be a threat to facebook.
The problem I see is that while anyone can use the various Google services, they cater mostly to dedicated Google/Gmail users. And while the number of Google/Gmail/Android users is surely growing, it is still not a big enough demo to compete with...well...everyone. Perhaps if EVERYONE who uses Gmail completely abandoned facebook in favor of Google+, then maybe it would have a chance at a hostile takeover. But I don't see that happening. If Google Groups (remember them?) didn't even become a blip on the screen of Yahoo Groups' radar, what chance does Google+ have against a behemoth like facebook?
Personally, I hope I'm wrong, as I happen to be one who is all in with Google. I frequently use gmail, google calendar, picasa, youtube, an android phone, google maps, google voice, and of course blogger. I would welcome a facebook-like interface that is seamlessly integrated with the rest of my e-life.

Time will tell.

Anyway, check it out:

This Is What It's Like to Actually Use Google+, Google's New Social Network

No comments: