Thursday, June 09, 2011

An unknown (?) feature for AT&T wireless customers

A few weeks ago I was checking out my AT&T wireless account online, and I noticed a new feature that I had never seen before, and one that AT&T certainly did not email me to tell me about, and one that was not automatically enabled. I had to enable it.
Like most people, I have unlimited messaging ($20 for most people on the big two networks I believe), and what was newly listed right above this feature was "Unlimited messaging with Mobile to ANY Mobile calling."
The price? $20. That's right. Basically throwing in mobile to ANY mobile minutes for free.
Now, I figured there had to be a catch. I mean, why wouldn't AT&T advertise this? Wouldn't they want to boast something that their arch rival does not offer (to my knowledge VZW does not yet offer this)? VZW still offers unlimited data (though not for long I suspect) whereas AT&T does not. So it would seem that AT&T would want to have something unique to their service to brag about. At the very least enable the feature automatically and let their existing subscribers know about it. Sort of a "Hey, look what we gave you...aren't we awesome?"
Well, I'm here to tell you that there is no catch. Since changing that feature, my bill has not changed, and no mobile minutes whatsoever are counting towards my peak minutes. Between this feature and my A-List (Friends & Family on VZW), I'm barely using any minutes at all every month.
Okay, well maybe there is a "catch" of sorts (if you want to call it that). I have the 900 minute plan, and that is the minimum you need in order to have the option of the A-list (VZW has the same requirement for F&F). I'm not sure if the same holds true for the Mobile to ANY Mobile feature, but it wouldn't surprise me if it does.

Anyway, if you're on AT&T wireless, I would suggest you go check out your account online and grab this feature if it's available to you. If you're like me, you know a lot of people on Verizon that you'll now be able to talk to unlimited. Even if you already have a couple of VZW customers on your A-list, you'll now be able to remove them and free up some of those 5 slots for more landline numbers. :-)

No comments: